
Members of the Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas government will not be able to travel to the United Nations General Assembly next month after the cancellation of Foreign Minister Marco Rubio.
This ban comes as many American allies announced that they will get to know a Palestinian state in the world leaders’ gathering at the United Nations headquarters in New York in response to Israel’s escalating assault in northern Gaza, which intensified on Friday after the country announced that it had started the “initial stages” of its work in the famine area.
Under the chairmanship of Abbas, who has not faced elections for nearly two decades, the Palestinian Authority runs parts of the West Bank occupied by the Israeli. It has not been controlled in Gaza since 2007 when the security forces in the Palestinian President were expelled by the Islamic Group Hamas.
In June, Abbas wrote a letter to the President of France in which he condemned the Hamas attack and called on the hostages taken by the armed group to release it.
In a statement on Friday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that the Trump administration reaffirms its “commitment to not rewarding terrorism”, and Rubio canceled the visas from the Palestinian Authority (PA) and the Parachute Liberation Organization (PLO).
Before they considered “partners for peace”, the statement said that “they must deny the continuation of terrorism”, including the terrorist attacks led by Hamas on October 7, 2023, which witnessed 1,200 people who were killed and about 250 people have taken over a hostage, and “ending the maintenance of terrorism in education.”
He added that the Palestinian Authority must end its efforts to “secure the unilateral recognition of the imagined Palestinian state.”
“Both steps contributed financially to Hamas’s refusal to release its hostages, and to the collapse of the ceasefire talks in Gaza,” the statement said, adding that the United Nations permanent mission of the Palestinian Authority in New York will not be affected by restrictions.
Under the 1947 headquarters of the United Nations headquarters, the United States should generally allow access to foreign diplomats to the United Nations in New York. After the United States refused to issue a visa to the leader of the Palestine Liberation Organization, Yasser Arafat, in 1988, the United Nations General Assembly held a meeting that year in Geneva instead of New York so that it could address it.
Washington said it could deny visas for security, extremism and foreign policy. Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon welcomed Sair the decision of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
But Rad Mansour, the Palestinian ambassador to the United Nations, told reporters on Friday that as much as he knew, “our president is President Mahmoud Abbas, and he is coming to represent the State of Palestine and the Palestinian people in this conference.”
He added: “We will see exactly what it means exactly and how it applies to any of our delegations,” We will see exactly what it means and how it applies to any of our delegations, and we will respond accordingly. “
Many European foreign ministers criticized the decision before a meeting in Copenhagen, Denmark on Saturday. “No restrictions can be subject to access,” French Foreign Minister Jean -Nula Barrot told reporters.
France, the United Kingdom, Canada and Australia are expected to recognize a Palestinian state in the association, a step against the Trump administration. The state of Palestine is currently being recognized by 147 UN member states 193.
The visa removal came amid the escalation of global anger on hunger in Gaza after more than 22 months of war, which witnessed the killing of more than 63,000 people, according to health officials in the pocket.
After the launch of a new attack in the north of the pocket earlier this week, Israel said on Friday that Gaza City had become a dangerous combat area.
It is expected that the operation around the largest city in the tape is expected to displace thousands, and after Israel carried out severe strikes in the region on Friday, many of them began to displace several times during the war. As tanks advanced in many regions, the streets of Gaza City in the afternoon were crowded with newly displaced families.
A mother said that she could not sleep while the bombing was shook under it, forcing her to flee “without food, or water.”
She said, “We do not know even if we are alive or dead.” “I have no idea where we will go or what will happen to us.”
Near -placed, Ammar Ahmed Abu Warda, 21 years old and married, carried what was the property he could have on his shoulders, but he said that he lost the path of his wife and children.
He said: “My whole life has been given.” “This is my land, my home – both of them are gone, but I will stay.”