
On Sunday, a federal judge prevented the Trump administration from sending any immigrant child who is not accompanied by his relatives to Guatemala unless they had a deportation order, just hours after alerting the lawyers, which they described as a hurry government effort to deport hundreds of children.
The American Partial Court judge, Sparkle Sognanan, has issued its order as the deportation effort was completely ongoing, with planes with immigrant children ready to take off from Texas.
Earlier on Sunday, at night hours, Sognanan issued a temporary restriction that prevents officials from sending a group of 10 Migrant children Between the ages of 10 and 17 to Guatemala, a request from lawyers who claimed that the effort would lead to avoiding the legal protection created by Congress for this palace. It also set a hearing in the afternoon to weigh the next steps for the situation.
But Sognanan suddenly went up to the session earlier on Sunday, saying that she had been alerted that some immigrant children were already in the process of deportation.
With the launch of the session, Sparkle announced that it had just issued a temporary temporary matter preventing any deportation from unaccompanied children from Guatemala and in the American reservation who had no deportation. And instructed Drew Ensign, the Ministry of Justice, which represents the Trump administration, to inform officials quickly that they had to stop their deportation plans.
Ensign admitted that the deportation planes were ready to take off on Sunday, but said it was “on the ground” and is still on the land of the United States. He said he believed that one plane had been launched earlier, but it returned.
At the request of Sooknanan, Ensign said that he confirmed that children on aircraft would be infected and return to the seizure of the Ministry of Health and Humanitarian Services, and is responsible for caring for migrant minors who enter the United States without permission or without parents or legal parents.
HHS includes children who are not accompanied by shelters or custody until they are 18 years old or even can be placed with a suitable shepherd in the United States, who are often a family member.
Sooknan has recognized the temporary restriction order, which is scheduled to last for 14 days, is “unusual” but justifies it on the basis that the government decided to “implement a plan to remove these children” in the “early hours” at the weekend.
In a lawsuit, lawyers of a group of Guatemali children said that the Trump administration had made efforts to deport more than 600 migrants to Guatemala without allowing them to request humanitarian protection, although American law protects them from rapid deportation. They claimed that children may face ill -treatment, neglect or persecution if they returned to Guatemala.
The Lieutenant Lieutenant, the lawyer of the Ministry of Justice, said that the Trump administration is not trying to officially deport the Guatemali children under the American Immigration Law, but instead returns them to Guatemala so that they can reunite relatives there. He said that the Guatemali government and relatives had requested the gathering.
But children’s lawyers questioned the government’s claims, citing one case in which they say that the child’s parents did not ask for any return. They also said that a law known as the Act of Re -Displacing Victims of Trafficking says that unaccompanied immigrant children who are not from Mexico should be allowed to see the immigration judge and apply for legal protection before any deportation voltage. Lawyers said that some children who face a return to Guatemala still have suspended migration cases.
Another said that the legal position of the government is that these children can be “returned”, based on the authority granted to HHS to collect “foreign children who are not accompanied by their parents with a parent abroad in appropriate cases.”
Representatives of the Ministry of Internal Security did not immediately respond to the request to comment on the deportation plans.
Naha Disai, a lawyer at the National Youth Center in California, who works with immigrant minors, said that the United States government is trying to deport children to “already filed legal relief claims based on the ill -treatment and persecution that they suffered in their home country.”
“This is illegal and inhuman deeply,” Disai added.
Most unaccompanied children cross the southern American border without legal permission from Central America and tend to be teenagers. Once it reaches the United States, many files requests to obtain asylum or other immigration advantages to try to stay in the country legally, such as a visa for assaulted, displaced or neglected youth.
As part of the larger repression of illegal immigration, the Trump administration has sought radical changes to how the United States tackled unacceptable children. It has made it more difficult for some relatives, including the country illegally, to care for children who are not accompanied by government custody and offered some teenagers the option of voluntary return to their countries of origin.
The Trump administration has also directed agents of migration and customs (ICE) and other agencies to conduct “social welfare checks” on children who were released from HHS custody, a step he said in response to the disputed allegations that the Biden administration “lost” hundreds of thousands of migrant minors.
There are currently nearly 2000 immigrant children in HHS.